Sports Medicine Specialist Dr. Darius Moezzi Offers Tips for Cycling Safely
While more area residents take to cycling and mountain biking to get safe exercise during the COVID-19 outbreak, fellowship-trained and board-certified sports medicine surgeon Dr. Darius Moezzi of Flagstaff Bone & Joint if offering safety guidance for cyclists of all skill levels to help our community stay safe and avoid injury. Patients in need of specialized bone, joint and muscle care are encouraged to call (928) 773-2280 to be seen by Dr. Moezzi in Flagstaff at 77 West Forest Avenue, Suite 301. Televisit appointments are also available. For urgent needs, make a same-day appointment or walk into Flagstaff Bone & Joint’s Injury Care Clinic available in Flagstaff.
“At Flagstaff Bone & Joint, we are dedicated to the health and safety of our community,” says Dr. Moezzi. “More community members cycling and experienced riders getting more miles is a great health trend, but there are some safety risks as with most recreational activities, so I wanted to share some safety tips and reminders to help riders stay safe.”
Dr. Moezzi encourages our community to follow these safety tips from Flagstaff Bone & Joint to stay safe and avoid injury on the trails and roads:
- Always wear a helmet that fits well to best protect your head.
- Do not wear loose clothing, even when you need additional layers to regulate body temperature. Loose materials can catch on your bike and lead to a fall.
- Regularly maintain your bike's tires, brakes and gears and use a bike that's properly sized and suited for the terrain you're riding on. Keep lights on your bike and make sure they're turned on if you ride at night or early in the morning.
- Do not ride on trails that are beyond your skill level. If you're riding on a trail unfamiliar to you, walk the areas with drops and obstacles.
- Obey all laws for cyclists on roads, and always ride defensively, using bike lanes where you can and signaling all your turns.
- Wear sunscreen, drink plenty of water and take breaks when you need them. You should also pay attention to the weather and avoid riding in inclement conditions.
“If you fall or injure yourself on your ride, you should see an orthopaedic specialist as soon as you can,” adds Dr. Moezzi. “Ifr head or have bleeding that won’t stop after a few minutes, go to an emergency room or urgent care immediately.”
As a fellowship-trained and board-certified surgeon, Dr. Moezzi specializes in sports medicine and joint replacement and revision as well as providing care for the knee and shoulder. He is available to see patients at Flagstaff Bone & Joint’s main office in Flagstaff.
To learn more about orthopaedic safety or to schedule a safe appointment with Dr. Moezzi, call (928) 773-2280.