Board-certified and fellowship-trained upper extremity surgeon, Dr. John Flint, joined Flagstaff Bone & Joint in 2010. After graduating summa cum laude from Brigham Young University, Dr. Flint completed his medical degree at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and his residency program in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, a top ten hospital for orthopaedic surgery. He then went on to receive fellowship training in surgery of the upper extremity at Triangle Orthopaedic Associates, P.A., in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. During his training, he worked with hand surgeons trained at the Mayo Clinic and Duke University Hospital and trained under the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Dr. William Mallon. Dr. Flint cared for the triple-A baseball team the Durham Bulls during their run to become the 2009 International League Champions.
Dr. Flint has worked extensively on issues related to health policy, medical education, and legislative issues pertaining to orthopaedic patients. He has lobbied on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. to protect Medicare beneficiaries’ access to orthopaedic care.
Dr. Flint worked to help establish and was one fo the original board of managers of Pathfinder Health, an Accountable Care Organization, that is a partnership between local healthcare providers in Flagstaff, Arizona and the Northern Arizona Healthcare. Dr. Flint has also served as the Chief of Orthopaedics at Flagstaff Medical Center for three years.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science in Zoology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- Upper Extremity Surgery: Triangle Orthopaedic Associates, P.A., Chapel Hill, NC
- Board-Certified: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Arizona Orthopaedic Society
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- Pathfinder Accountable Care Organization, Board Member
- Flagstaff Medical Center
- Northern Arizona Healthcare Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Coconino High School
- Northern Arizona University IceJacks Hockey